This 20 minute vegetable pad Thai is vegan, gluten free, protein packed, and filled with flavor! Made with minimal ingredients and filled with nutrients, it’s a delicious week night dinner.
I’ve only had Thai food once, but man was it GOOD. One of my best friends was visiting me from New York, and on her last day here, she had one request: THAI FOOD. She wanted to go to this specific Thai restaurant she’d grown up loving, so we got takeout there and went to watch the sunset. As we opened our takeout, we discovered… NO SILVERWARE. I’m sorry, but what take out place DOESN’T give you silverware? Isn’t the point of takeout to eating it on the go? SMH.
So, we settled for eating at home, which turned out to be way easier. Anyways, I got this dreamy vegetable Thai curry noodle dish that was OUTTA THIS WORLD. Ever since then, I’ve been obsessed everything noodle related, and I decided it was about time I put my love on the internet. SO, I present to you this 20 minute vegetable pad Thai!
The base of this is simple: brown rice noodles. You cook em while your vegetables are sautéing, and they don’t take long to cook since they’re relatively thin. Of course, you can use brown rice, but then this turns into a stir fry, and plus- noodles are way more fun.
For the vegetables, I went with some carrots, purple cabbage and bok choy. I’d only had bok choy when I went to China and hated it while I was there, but after a few years apart from it, I’ve grown to like it! But, I’ll be honest- I’m still not a huge fan and I defiantly added extra sauce to mask the flavor of it. Which brings me to the best part (well, besides the noodles): the 4 ingredient peanut sauce! It’s dreamy, easy to make, and packs tons of nutrients. Don’t skimp on the sauce- the more, the merrier.
Not only is this 20 minute vegetable pad thai vegan, but it’s also gluten free! If you want to add more protein to it, you can add on some tofu (I highly recommend this method, but it will up the cooking time a bit), tempeh, or shrimp if not vegan!
When you make this stir-fry, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 10 oz brown rice noodles
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 bok choy leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 cups (1/2 large) red cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vine vinegar
- ½ cup water, to thin
- Begin by cooking your brown rice noodles normally. Once ready, set aside.
- Heat a skillet to a medium-high heat and add on 1 tbsp sesame oil. Sauté the scallions and garlic for two-three minutes.
- Add on the carrot, bok choy, and red cabbage. Pour over the remaining oil, along with the chili powder and lime juice. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until tender and done to your liking.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk together all the ingredients and add more water if necessary, until a pourable consistency.
- To serve, evenly divide the noodles, vegetable, and sauce.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!