5 Ingredient Vegan French Toast that tastes absolutely amazing, is filled with flavor, and takes 30 minutes to make! It’s naturally sweet and makes for the perfect weekend brunch.
Breakfast foods hold a special place in my heart.
When I was younger, my grandfather would make us his special waffles whenever we went to his house in Arizona. We would sit at the old, rustic table in the tiny, thin kitchen that was dimly lit and wait patiently until the iron was ready. I was always TOLD to start off with two waffles, but me being the rebel I was, took three. I topped them with loads of maple syrup and blueberries. I ate the waffles with my grandfather everyday, and to this day, those are some of my favorite memories with him. If you didn’t know, I consider my grandfather my best friend. He is the sweetest, most caring person you will ever meet, and he never fails to make me smile. He has this way of making the bad situations good, and you will never hear him yelling.
So, as you can see, my love of breakfast began early on. Since I could remember, I’ve always strayed more towards sweet breakfasts > savory (with the exception of scrambled eggs with feta cheese). Sweet just seems like a natural breakfast option- lunch and dinner tend to be filled with vegetables, so you gotta indulge somewhere. My type of indulgence includes tons of carbs and sugar. French toast is practically made for me!
Typically, this dish is filled with eggs, half and half, and more. I’m not against eating eggs (you can read about that here), but I love trying to make things vegan. The batter is very simple, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand. The key ingredient is the bread- I recommend a hearty, thick bread. You could use your typical sandwich bread, but that wouldn’t be the same. I went with a fresh baked french bread loaf, and it was HEAVENLY.
This may be one of the best recipes I’ve ever made. It’s 5 ingredients, hearty, naturally sweet, and absolutely delicious. If you make this, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- 5 thick slices of bread (I recommend a loaf of french bread or rustic for the best results)
- Coconut oil (for cooking)
- Pre-heat your skillet to a medium heat, and melt ~1 tbsp coconut oil on.
- Mix the maple syrup, ground flaxseed, almond milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place your slices of bread in a baking tray, and pour the batter over. Coats evenly and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once ready, place the pieces of bread on the pan, and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the bread is your desired consistency.
- Once ready, flip and cook for a few more minutes. Serve immediately and top with fruit, maple syrup, or whatever you'd like.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!