4th of July is like a religion in Southern California.
All weekend- from July 1st until July 5th or so- everyone is at the beach. Girls are decked out in red bathing suits and guys are wearing stripped bottoms. At night, you better bet that there are countless sparklers out, and everyone has their phone out to capture the PERFECT Instagram. Moral of the story- don’t leave your house that weekend unless you’re a walking American flag and you have your cleaver Instagram caption planned out that involves a pun of some sort.
Me? I’m personally not the biggest Independence Day celebrator. I used to go to my local parade, but now I just hang out with my friends and have a pool party at my house. The weekend before (1st-4th), I’m focused on NBA free agency and capturing all the baseball games possible (duh). However, that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy one of the best parts of the day- the food!
Since starting my blog, I’ve been put in charge of the cooking around my house. It’s a big task sometimes, but thankfully, my mom and dad aren’t the type of people to invite 20 people over. However, I do feel pressured to make meals that everyone will enjoy. Not everyone in my family is down for healthy recipes, or so I thought. That all changed when I made this salad.
For the salad, I used Whole Foods 365 Texas True Barbecue Sauce, which is personally one of the only ones I’ll use. Why? Well, lots of sauces pile on sugars and added ingredients, but not this one. You can read all the ingredients, and guess what- IT STILL TASTES AMAZING. The 365 Brand always makes sure to use wholesome ingredients, which is yet another reason why I am a huge fan of them. I get mine at Whole Foods Del Mar for about $1.99, which is INSANE! Most places charge $3 or so, and while a one dollar difference may not seem like much, it adds up. If you’re going to get any sauce, I recommend this one!
Now, because I know we’re all lazy at heart and you probably haven’t made that salad dish for your barbecue tonight, why not make this? Let’s dig in!
- 16 oz chicken breasts, pounded
- ½ cup barbecue sauce- I used the Whole Foods 365 Sweet & Savory
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 8 cups spinach, packed
- 1 cup almonds, sliced and toasted*
- Feta cheese
- Extra berries
- Pre heat your oven to 450.
- Cover your chicken in a bag, and pound it with a hammer until it's flat. This will ensure it cooks evenly and you won't have any raw meat.
- In a bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce, garlic powder, and salt + pepper. Add in the chicken and coat evenly.
- Line the breasts out on a tray, and stick in the oven for twenty minutes, or until crispy and cooked.
- Once done, serve on top of the salad and enjoy!
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, romaine, berries, and almonds. Serve evenly onto plates or bowls, add the chicken, and enjoy!
*NOTE*- Whole Foods Del Mar and I worked on this post together. However, I believe everything I said and truly love their products.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!