Two of my best friends are indian, and this dish was the first Indian dish I’ve ever had. I know, I know. My friends always wonder how I’m friends with them and still never had Indian food. Well, if either of them are reading this- I DID IT.
I’ve been on a huge “new food” kick recently. I got stuck in a rut of the same meals during school time, so I’m excited to have the summer to experiment with meals and such. School time makes me forget how much I love cooking and experimenting. I think that’s because I get so caught up in grades, essays, tests, and trying to maintain my social life. I push my meal creativity to the side, and turn to my staples: roasted vegetables, roasted potato, and eggs. I think I ate that meal three times a week at least during the school year.
Now that it’s summer, I’m finally able to experiment again with food, and this curry was first on the list. I honestly didn’t think I’d be a huge curry person, for many reasons. One- I’ve never had a strong desire for foreign cuisines (besides Italian food- GIVE ME ALL THE PASTA), and two- the curry flavor can come off too strong for me at times. Not this time. So needless to say, I got a present surprise.
I think my mom likes this dish more than me, because as I was photographing it, she cam in and made herself a bowl without telling me. Then, she requested I make it for family dinner the next night. Since she’s my biggest critic, that’s a big compliment.
Now, this curry is very creamy, which I’ve discovered is the only way to do it. The secret to it? Coconut milk. Instead of using a thick, full fat coconut milk, I opted for the Whole Foods 365 Light Coconut Milk. I got mine at Whole Foods Del Mar, which as you all know is my go to Whole Foods. What I love about their 365 brand is how affordable it is. The coconut milk, along with the black beans I used, were each 79 cents. At every other grocery store I go to, those would be at least 30 cents more. So while many people think Whole Foods is more expensive, there are ways to save your money, and one of those ways is purchasing the 365 brand.
My mouth is watering, and I’m getting hungry again, so I’m gonna go make this dish, and you should too!
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 4 cups kale, packed
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- brown rice- highly recommend!
- Pre-heat the coconut oil on a medium heat, and swirl around so it coats everything evenly.
- Dice up your sweet potato, and add it to the pan. Mix it around for twenty minutes, or until soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add in the vegetables. Stir around with the potato, and then toss in the seasonings. Coat everything well, and cover with a lid to cook faster.
- After about five minutes, lift the lid and add in the chili paste. Stir around to evenly distribute, and then pour in the coconut milk. Continue stirring around and letting it thick.
- Once everything has cooked more, toss in the black beans and turn the pan off. Stir the black beans around.
- Serve the curry over a bowl of rice or grain of choice, and enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!