This black bean tortilla soup is vegan, gluten free, and filled with protein! It’s ready in under an hour and pairs well with homemade tortilla chips, making it the perfect quick meal.
Hey hey hey- it’s January! That can only me one thing- soups, chilli’s, plenty of parkas and leggings, and all things cozy. Well, I’m still in San Diego on winter break for another week, so I’ll hold off on the leggings and parkas 😉
January is the perfect month to refresh your system and body. I always take the month to detox myself of social media, and to evaluate what the past year was like. Well, that past year was quiet a whirlwind, given that I started college, moved to a new state, and completely readjusted my life.
Here I am, in 2018 (I swear, I still think it’s 2012 sometimes), setting some new goals and intentions. First up- more dinner dishes! I feel like I have plenty of desserts, breakfasts, and sweets, but it’s time I switch things up. When I asked you guys what you wanted to see in 2018, a bunch of you responded with soup and chili! While I was surprised, I was also happy, because that meant I could step out of my comfort zone and create a delicious, nourishing dish perfect for the new year.
I was inspired to create this black bean tortilla soup by my friend, who lives for chicken tortilla soup at a local Mexican restaurant. While the two are clearly different, the concept is the same- a nourishing soup garnished with tortilla chips, making it the perfect, easy dinner. For the tortilla chips, I opted to make my own, and used One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Gluten Free Corn Tortillas. These tortillas are my favorite for any Mexican dish, because the ingredients are simple: corn, guar gum (to bind), and lime juice. Seriously- that’s it! One Degree Organic Foods is my favorite brand for all things baking and cooking, because all their products feature simple, natural ingredients. Plus, they all taste AMAZING.
The corn tortilla’s are cut up into chips, baked in under 15 minutes, and garnished onto a filling, tasty, and cozy vegan and gluten free black bean soup. What’s not to love?
When you make this black bean tortilla soup, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth.
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar*
- 2corn tortilla's
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Toppings (optional):
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil to a medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper and stir for 3-5 minutes. Add in the drained and rinsed black beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the soup is preparing, make the chips by pre-heating your oven to 350 F, cutting the tortillas into bite size pieces.
- Line out on a baking tray, and drizzle over the oil and salt. Coat well.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, until crispy.
- Once the soup is done, divide evenly, garnish with the chips and toppings.
This post is sponsored by One Degree Organic Foods. All opinions are my own.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!