Veggie Burgers that are PACKED with protein, flavor, and fiber. These are the perfect replacement for your average burger, and are incredibly easy to make.
Veggie burgers scare me.
Not because they’re physically scary, but because I’ve failed at them so many damn times. It drives me crazy whenever I think I have the PERFECT recipe for them, and then BOOMB- they fall apart. Gah, the struggle.
Something you should know about me is that I hate food waste. If a recipe fails but it’s still edible, you better bet I’ll be eating it. I feel so bad for throwing something out because I know there are people who cannot afford to eat like I do. It breaks my heart to hear stories of children dying from starvation, so even if I don’t like something, I will eat it because I know it could be worse.
Another thing I hate? Failure. I know that’s a common thing to hate, but it’s especially true for me. When a recipe I’m sure was going to go well fails, I may end up crying to my mom about how I’m going nowhere in life and I’m a horrible blogger. OVER A MUFFIN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. My mom and friends always know when I have a recipe success, because I’m usually a happy camper who can’t stop bragging about what they just made.
So, you can imagine my excitement when these worked out. I adapted Hummusapiens recipe for black bean burgers, but used bell pepper and a few other ingredients as well. Suppa simple. Just how I like it.
Another great thing? This doesn’t require a lot of dishes. Our water is currently out at my house (leaky pipe), so I don’t want a ton of dishes piling up, because I know my OCD would go crazy. So, all you need is a pan and a mixing bowl, which I’m sure you have on hand. You probably have all these ingredients on hand, and if you don’t, they’re not expensive to buy! Since you can freeze these, they’re perfect for nights when you don’t wanna cook. And let me tell you- as someone who creates recipes on the daily, that can happen quite often.
- 1 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ bell pepper, thinly chopped
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for cooking)
- Prep your flax eggs by combing the 2 tbsp of flax with the 6 tbsp water. Set in the fridge for twenty minutes to let thicken.
- In a large bowl, mash up your black beans with a fork or masher (I used a fork).
- Throw in the bread crumbs.
- Next, add in the diced bell pepper and seasonings.
- On a skillet, melt the olive oil and swirl around. Form large balls with the mixture and place on the skillet. Flatten them with the spatula, and let cook for two-three minutes.
- Once cooked on one side, flip and cook for two-three minutes on the other side. Repeat the process until all the burgers are gone.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!