These blueberry buckwheat oatmeal pancakes are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and delicious! Made with minimal ingredients and filled with flavor, they’re a great weekend brunch dish.
Hi friends- happy Thursday! Changed up my posting schedule a bit this week to accommodate with Halloween, so I hope y’all don’t mind. Speaking of halloween… did you have a good weekend?! My “Halloweekend” was one to remember, but my body is ready for a reset and relaxation for a few days (if ya know what I mean 😉 ).
I’m a very indecisive person, especially when it comes to food. Smoothie bowl or oatmeal? Waffles or pancakes? Peanut butter or almond butter? Ugh, I can never make up my mind! I go back and fourth on which I like more- pancakes or waffles, and everytime, I come to the same conclusion that they’re both good for their own reasons. While waffles provide you with pockets to fill with toppings, nothing screams “brunch” to me like a hearty stack of pancakes. Pour some syrup over em and we GOOD.
I guess I’ll never make up my mind, and that’s okay! You guys can be picky about what you order, but I’ll have both waffles and pancakes- please and thank you.
Today’s dish is inspired by some pancakes I had for brunch with my mom a few months back. We were both wanting sweet, so we decided to order the banana buckwheat pancakes, which we were both skeptical of. However, they turned out to be DELICIOUS, and to the drawing board I went. I have a lot of banana based recipes on the blog, so I decided to go with my favorite berry- blueberries- as the pancakes main flavor.
I LOVEEEEE blueberry pancakes, so this was bound to happen. For the base of the pancakes, we’re using buckwheat flour, which despite it’s name, is gluten free! I know, I was shocked too. It’s also extremely flavorful and hearty, so bonus. We’re also using rolled oats because I love the texture in them and they provide fiber + protein. To keep these bad boys refined sugar free, I opted for my beloved coconut sugar.
Add in a few wet ingredients and boom- delicious, vegan & gluten free blueberry buckwheat oatmeal pancakes! When you make these, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk, divided
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pint blueberries
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Prepare the flax eggs by whisking the water and ground flax seed together. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- When ready, combine the sugar, flour, rolled oats, sea salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Add in the melted oil, flax eggs, and 1 cup of the almond milk. As you stir those, add in the blueberries.
- Heat a skillet to a medium heat and melt coconut oil on to prevent sticking. While the batter is sitting aside, add the 2 tbsp almond milk in and mix to get a better consistency. When ready, spoon ~1/4 cup batter onto the pan and smooth out (it will be a thick consistency) until a pancake shape has formed. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until ready to flip.
- When ready, flip and cook for 2-4 more minutes. Set aside and repeat until the batter is gone.
- Add your toppings, serve, and enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!