Vegan and gluten free friendly gingerbread banana bread that’s naturally sweet, filled with flavor, requires one bowl, and is the perfect dessert. Filled with gingerbread flavor, this feels like Christmas in bread form!
Welcome to the season of baking and Home Alone references!
In all seriousness, I cannot express my love for Christmas enough. It has never been about the gifts for me, but more about the traditions. My mom and I buy our tree the day after Thanksgiving, and decorate the house / tree that Saturday as a family. We love looking back on all the tacky decorations my sister and I made in preschool, and making fun of our dogs as they try to grab ornaments off the tree.
Christmas has always been a special time for me. Ever since I was little, I counted down the days starting in August. I would watch about one holiday movie a day, until I was down to Hallmark originals. I remember the first time I watched Home Alone like it was yesterday, and it never gets old. Besides the movie, I love the spirit and vibe everyone gives off. People are always so cheery and warm around this time of year, and it’s infectious!
While I may be the “chef” in the house, my mom is far and away the best baker. She bakes like it’s nobody’s business, and always know what goes with what. I admire her courage in the kitchen, and hope to gain some of it. I’ve been baking a LOT more recently, and let me say… hard work pays off! So around the holidays, I used to leave all the cooking to her, but this year it’s different. I’ll be helping her in the kitchen, and the first thing on my menu is this gingerbread banana bread!
This recipe came on a total whim. I saw I had three ripe bananas on the counter, and my mind instantly drifted towards baking. It was a sign! I knew from the start I wanted to make this recipe vegan (duh) and Christmas themed! Banana bread isn’t typically the dessert you think of as a popular holiday treat, so that’s why I decided to make it gingerbread! The natural sweetness from the bananas, combined with the comforting gingerbread flavor, is out of this world. Plus, it comes together in 1 hour and keeps for up to four days, so you don’t need to worry about making it come Christmas morning.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup GF rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, combine your flax seed and water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mash your ripe bananas up using the back of your fork. In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas, molasses, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and flax egg (once set). Stir until the clumps are gone.
- Pour in the spices, baking powder, rolled oats, sugar, and whole wheat flour. Pour the coconut oil around the edges. Stir together well until everything is combined.
- In a bread pan, lay out some parchment paper and spray with cooking spray to make sure the batter doesn't stick. Pour in the mixture and spread it out evenly.
- Stick in the oven for 1 hr 10 min. Once done, remove and cool for about 20 minutes.
- Slice into 10 pieces, and serve!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!