Raise your hand if you used to hate asparagus *raises both hands and feet*
I used to hate this green in particular for no reason. I think the idea of something healthy entering my body that wasn’t coated in oil and dressing made me cringe from the age of five-twelve, so I avoided it at all costs. However, I’ve recently (okay, more like five years ago) made the discovery that I actually LOVE asparagus, and could go through a whole pound in a day.
This recipe is mom approved, which is always a good sign, because my mom does not have a “pasta tooth”. Really, I don’t see how that’s possible, because pasta is a gift from the gods in my opinion. But this pasta… this pasta is life changing. I used Modern Table’s lentil penne pasta and am blown away. Not only is the pasta’s consistency similar to normal pasta, it provided me with 25g of protein to keep me going! I think I’ve got a new favorite pasta brand 😉
I was really hesitant to use tofu in this dish, not gonna lie. When I was five, I saw “Ice Princesse’s” (shoutout to that movie- still one of my all time favorites), and there’s a memorable line here she says “Casey- I want ice cream, and all your mother has is tofu.” But, after slowly trying dishes with the criticized protein source, I’ve discovered that by baking it correctly with good seasonings, you can get it to taste pretty delectable. Proud to say I accomplished that with this dish, so let’s dig in!
- 2 cups cooked Modern Table Pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 1 large zucchini
- 10 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 oz tofu*
- 1.) Cook your pasta according to the directions on the bag. When the pasta is done, pour out the water and stir in the nutritional yeast to it. Stir until the yeast has mixed, and set aside.
- 2.) Pre-heat your stove top to a medium heat. Add the oil and melt it around the pan. Cook your chopped asparagus and tofu (or protein of choice) in the oil, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the tofu has cooked all the way.
- 3.) Once the asparagus / tofu mixture is done, transfer to a bowl, reduce the heat, and cook your tomatoes for five or so minutes, or until tender.
- 4.) Once the tomatoes have cooked, mix with the tofu and asparagus in a bowl. Dress with the lemon juice, coating everything well.
- 5.) Spirilize your zucchini using a spirilizer, and combine the noodles with the pasta and yeast.
- 6.) Once the noodles and pasta have mixed, add in the veggies, protein, and any other add ins. Serve with some cheese and any other toppings you'd like. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite pasta dish?
*NOTE*- Modern Table Meals reached out to me and sent me products to review and use in this post. However, all opinions are my own and I truly love their food.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!