These loaded sweet potato breakfast nachos are vegan, gluten free, filled with protein, and make for a great weekend brunch!
Wanna know a fun fact about me? I absolutely LOVE reading. Yup, I’m a total nerd. Every night I make it a point to read for at least 30 minutes. Maybe not right before bed, but usually sometime between dinner and lights out. I’ve found that it relaxes me and puts me at ease, no matter what I’m doing. My favorite kind of books are mystery- no surprise. My favorite series? The Alex Cross series by James Patterson!
Right now, I’m re-reading The Book of Basketball, by Bill Simmons, which is another total nerd move. It’s over 700 pages of pure sports, which you guys know I love. I bring all this up because this book brings me so much JOY. Pure. Joy. I’ve read it three times, and each time I learn more about the sport and the history of the league. Again, total nerd move, but I love it! I read it while at work, because it kills time and I hate being on my computer too much, so it gives me a break from technology.
For those wondering- I’m spending the summer working as a nanny for a non verbal autistic boy 🙂
I used to struggle with finding pure joy in things. During high school, I did so many things to fulfill a social norm, pass a class, or earn a credit. I struggled to find what truly made me happy, and it wasn’t until I started blogging more full time that I found that. This blog brings me pure JOY. Talking about plants, desserts, and the need to stop cutting carbs excited me everyday. Sure, there are days when the last thing I want to do is make a Pinterest photo or delete ANOTHER tea detox email, but in the end, I end the work days smiling and fulfilled.
With all that being said, I encourage you to find things that bring you joy. They may not be normal, and they may be “boring”, but if you love them, then f all the social norms. For example, these vegan breakfast nachos bring me JOY because nothing says relaxing than with a big plate of nachos.
These bad boys are filled with tofu, black beans, caramelized onions, bell pepper, corn, and the best part… sweet potatoes! The great things about these is that you can make everything all at once (if you have multiple burners- if not, they may just take a little more time, but that’s okay!) They come together in under 45 minutes and make for the PERFECT savory brunch option. You guys know I’m a sweet > savory gal, so when I opt for a savory dish, you know it’s a good one.
When you make these loaded sweet potato breakfast nachos, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- For the potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- For the tofu:
- 8 oz firm tofu
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the vegetables:
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Black beans
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 F.
- Thinly slice your sweet potatoes and spread out evenly on a baking tray. Toss with the olive oil and sea salt. Roast for 40-45 minutes, until crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. In a mixing bowl, add your firm tofu and seasonings. Mash with a fork until a scrambled consistency. Once mashed, cook on the skillet for 15-20 minutes, until firm. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat on a different skillet, and cook for onions for 10 minutes, until tender. Add on the bell pepper and corn, and cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Once the potatoes are done, assemble on a plate and then layer on the tofu, vegetables, black beans, and any other toppings. Enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!