This mixed berry french toast casserole is vegan, full of flavor, and the perfect summer brunch! It’s made with minimal ingredients, takes less than an hour to make, and is incredibly hearty.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but it wasn’t always that way.
Growing up, I wolfed down my breakfast like it was nothing, then jet set off to school to endure the painful hours of elementary school. In middle school, my mornings were spent at the ice rink, and my breakfast went as follows: sourdough toast with butter beforehand, everything bagel with cream cheese and an orange juice from Starbucks in the car on the way to school. During freshman year, I didn’t have much time to eat before I went to the bus, and usually just had eggs (sad times man).
When I created my blog during 10th grade, I realized how special breakfast was. As soon as I began to cut out time to make my breakfast and enjoy it, I noticed a huge change in my mood. All the sudden, I was more energetic and relaxed. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I can tell you that taking time for your breakfast is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
When it comes to breakfast foods, I am the queen of getting stuck in “ruts”. These ruts weren’t bad- in fact, I enjoyed them! However, as you can tell by my Instagram, I love loaded bowls of oatmeal, easy toast, and smoothie bowls. One food that I love but always forget about it French toast. French toast is so easy to make, yet I never actually make it.
Now that high school is over (!!!), I have all the time in the world to prepare elaborate breakfasts. However, I can tell this mixed berry French toast casserole is going to be on rotation 😉
So, now that we got the bread, all you gotta do it make the mixture, whisk it up, and add your fruit! I stuck with a simple mixed berry combo of blackberries & strawberries, which I highly recommend. This breakfast dish is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, & naturally sweet! When you make this French toast casserole, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 8 slices bread of choice- I used One Degree Organic's Flax & Spelt Bread
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water.
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- minutes before cooking, make the flax egg by mixing the flaxseed and water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Whisk together the milk, maple syrup, flax egg, cinnamon, sea salt, and vanilla.
- Slice your bread into bite sized cubes. Place in a large baking tray and pour the mixture over. Press the bread into the pan and make sure it absorbs everything. Add the fruit on over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the mixture has absorbed. Once done, let cool for 5 minutes and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!