Leftovers are great man.
That’s something I’d never thought I’d say, considering I don’t have the biggest fridge and struggle to fit everything in it as it is. However, today is one of the rare days I truly appreciate leftovers.
Over spring break, I spent one of my days at a cafe, studying my butt off for an AP exam. I looked at the time and realized that it was 3:00 PM and I hadn’t eaten lunch yet. Um- that’s not okay. I rushed home and looked in the fridge for something to eat, but all I could find was roasted beets, black beans, and a few other things.
One of those things was some rye bread I’d recently bought, and let me tell you, it may have been the best purchase I’ve ever made. Rye bread is so underrated, and I don’t think I’ve ever been more instantly obsessed with a bread. Combined with the roasted beets, black beans, and a few other things, I set out to make the ultimate sandwich, and the result was better than I ever thought possible.
The best part of this sandwich? The spicy black beans I used from the 356 Whole Foods Brand. They added a kick to the meal, but not to the point where I felt my mouth on fire. Trust me when I say these are the best seasoned black beans to buy, and for many reasons. Like every product in the 365 Brand, they only contain real ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about added sugars or artificial flavors. Another great thing about these is the fact that they’re only 99 cents a can and contains 3.5 servings. That can go a long way, so the cost is phenomenal!
Now, this combo may sound strange, and I thought it would be too. Just give it a try- please. Trust me when I say you won’t regret it by ANY means.
- 1 medium beet, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ an avocado, mashed
- ¼ cup hummus of choice
- ½ cup black beans, mashed
- Handful of arugula
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- 4 slices bread of choice*
- 1.) Pre-heat an oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2.) In a bowl, toss your sliced beet, olive oil, and salt together. I recommend wearing gloves during this process, or rolling up your sleeves, because as you know, beets are MESSY.
- 3.) Spread out on a baking tray lined with a piece of aluminum foil. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender.
- 4.) Once done, add to the sandwich and indulge!
- 1.) Toast up the bread you're using in a toaster oven.
- 2.) In a bowl, mash up your black beans using the back of a fork until it's reached your desired texture (I like mine on the chunkier side, but it's up to you!)
- 3.) Once the bread has toasted, split the black bean mash up among the two, and add it to the bread. Spoon on your mashed avocado, arugula, hummus, tomatoes, and beets. Enjoy!
What’s a strange combination you love?
*NOTE*- I worked with Whole Foods Del Mar to bring you this recipe. However, all opinions are my own and I believe everything I’ve stated. I truly love the products I mention.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!