These roasted corn and sweet potato enchilada’s are the perfect cozy dinner! They’re made with minimal, natural ingredients, come together in under an hour, and are incredibly easy to make.
My life is a constant struggle of what I want for dinner. As you know by my Instagram, I tend to stick with buddha bowls and/or eggs. They’re staples in my diet, and while I do love them, I should learn to branch out, right?
Most of the time, the reason I make those bowls because I’m lazy and they’re easy. My mom always complains that I “eat the same things” everyday, but how could I not? I get my carbs, fats, protein, fiber, and I’m satisfied!
As a California resident, you know Mexican food is a religion here. You can’t go a block without finding a local, hole in the wall Mexican restaurant filled with greasy, fried food that tastes amazing… but doesn’t feel the best. My favorite restaurant is this place called Mexico Viejo, which is five minutes from my house and my ultimate comfort food. My go-to order: cheese quesadilla, egg and cheese burrito. I could eat it for EVERY.SINGLE.MEAL. It’s filled with oil, trans fats, and a ton of flavor.
I was with my dad for a dad-daughter day, and we decided to indulge in our beloved Mexico Viejo. As I walked in, I decided to try a new thing on the menu, and picked the roasted corn enchiladas. HOLY.COW. I was BLOWN AWAY, and my life was changed forever. Since having that, I’ve made it my life goal to recreate them in the healthiest and tastiest way possible.
The basis of these are pretty standard: cheese and corn. BUT, I added sweet potato, which adds extra nutrients, flavor, and bulks up the meal. This dish takes less than 45 minutes and makes for a cozy weeknight meal. Plus, it’s gluten free and vegan friendly (simply remove the cheese and make sure your sauce is friendly.
When you make these, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 8 corn tortilla's
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup enchilada sauce of choice
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil up on a skillet at medium heat. Once hot, sauté the potatoes and corn together for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Microwave the corn tortilla's for 20 seconds to soften them up. Once softened, take 1 scoop of the potato/corn mixture, 1 tbsp of the enchilada sauce, and 2 tbsp cheese. Place in the tortilla and fold. Place into a large baking tray and repeat.
- Once done, pour the rest of the sauce into the pan evenly. Sprinkle on any remaining cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!