This spicy vegan bbq chickpea sandwich is a great, protein packed sandwich. It’s filled with flavor, healthy fats, protein, and comes together in under 30 minutes.
Can you believe we’re almost two months into 2017? How are you feeling?
Overwhelmed? Excited? Calm? A mix of all three? I’m defiantly a mix, because right now, I’m a bucket full of emotions and feelings. I’m overwhelmed with doing as much as I can before I leave, I’m excited about the fact that in six months, I’ll be on the other side of the country, experiencing something new. I’m calm because I want to enjoy my senior year as much as possible, and one of my main goals for this year is to stress less. One way I’ve been doing that is by implementing deep breathing into my daily routine. I like taking 5ish minutes each night to take some deep breaths and reflect on my day. Trust me people, it works.
With all that being said, stress is natural, and as a food blogger, I’m prone to stress cook. It’s not a bad thing, but it means I have tons of leftovers around my house! Who wants to come over for a house party- I got food covered. One day, when I was stress cooking / procrastinating / senioritis, I made this BBQ sandwich and OH.ME.GOD. You guys- this is actual heaven.
The base of this sandwich is crispy chickpeas, which you roast with barbecue sauce, and they turn into magic. MAGIC PEOPLE. Then, you slather on the spicy mayo sauce, which is three ingredients you probably already have in your house. Then, you add on the roasted bell pepper (crucial!) and spinach. Boom, lunch.
The bread is the most important part of a sandwich (duh), and for this sandwich, I used One Degree Organic Foods lentil grain loaf. Guys, this bread is magic. One slice contains 6g of protein, and here are the ingredients: organic red wheat, organic raisins, organic gluten flour, organic quick oats, organic lentils, yeast, and salt. YEAH, IT’S GOOD. I’m seriously obsessed with One Degree Organic Foods because they use all natural ingredients, are all organic, and believe in creating the best food possible. Their products are plant based (something I’m a big fan of), and contain no BS. It’s basically my life motto in a food company.
This sandwich is vegan and protein packed. One sandwich contains 15 grams of plant based, wholesome protein. What could get better than that? When you make this sandwich, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- For the chickpeas:
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce (look on the ingredients list!)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the spicy mayo sauce:
- ¼ cup vegan mayo of choice (use normal mayo if not vegan)
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash of sea salt
- For the sandwich:
- 1 bell pepper, roasted
- Handful of spinach
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 6-8 slices One Degree Organic Foods bread (or bread of choice)
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix together the barbecue sauce, chili powder, olive oil, and chickpeas until well coated. Add in a dash of sea salt if you see need for it. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until crispy. In the same pan, slice a bell pepper and put it face down. Roast with the chickpeas.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, make the sauce by combining all the ingredients and mixing well. Add more hot sauce if you need.
- Once the chickpeas and bell pepper are done, toast your bread. Once toasted, add on the mayo, then chickpeas, then bell pepper, then onion and add on spinach. Enjoy!
This recipe is sponsored by One Degree Organic Foods. All opinions are my own and I stand by everything I’ve said.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!