This vegan chocolate chip banana bread is full of flavor and makes for the perfect dessert! It’s fluffy, naturally sweet, and ready in under an hour.
There was a time when I didn’t like dark chocolate, and boy what a sad time that was. Looking back on these past few years, I’ve grown to love the bitterness (well, not TOO bitter) and find myself gravitating towards chocolate based desserts, with vanilla ice cream being the exception. Sorry, but I will forever be a vanilla > chocolate kinda gal.
I remember when I first started liking dark chocolate, I was blown away by how much my dessert pallet expanded. Not only was I able to indulge in more pastires, but I started to realize that I hate desserts that are too sweet. Too sweet = headache = grumpy. Not a good trio in my book.
I bring this up because a problem I have with so many restaurant desserts and pastires is that they’re too sweet, loaded with sugar, and lacking flavor. So, that’s why I took up baking: to create desserts that are sweet, but not overpowering. Enter… this vegan dark chocolate chip banana bread!
Not only is this banana bread vegan, but it’s also refined sugar free. I used a tiny bit of coconut sugar along with the natural sweetness of the ripe bananas, which is the perfect combination in my book. Unlike my favorite vegan & gluten free banana bread, this one contains no cane sugar, but honestly, you don’t even notice it. Oh, and while this isn’t gluten free, I didn’t test it with gluten free flour, so if you try that and have success, tell me!
Oh, and while we’re on the subject of chocolate chip banana bread, have you made these muffins yet?!
Oh, and the key to this is loading it up with dark chocolate chips! The more, the merrier in my opinion. So, when you make this vegan dark chocolate chip banana bread, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 F.
- Mix together the rolled oats, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add in the apple sauce, melted oil, and mashed bananas. As you mix that with the dry, add in the milk, ¼ cup at a time. Once mixed, fold in the chocolate chips and mix again.
- Grease a bread tin with cooking oil and pour your batter in. Smooth out and bake for 45-50 minutes, until done in the center.
- Remove and let cool for 20-30 minutes. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!