Vegan chocolate peanut butter cake that’s absolutely delicious, filled with flavor, and requires one bowl! Filled with chocolate and flavor, it makes for the perfect, vegan dessert.
I made a cake! Not just any cake- a chocolate peanut butter cake!
Truth be told, this recipe scared the living s**t out of me. I’m not a baker, and despite my best attempts, I still struggle with the most basic of recipes. Like, cookie scare me. However, today’s a special day, and a special day deserves a special recipe! Yesterday was my 18th birthday, so what better way to celebrate than with cake?
I spent my 18th birthday with some of my best friends, relaxing and having a girls day. I spent Sunday night with my parents, grilling burgers, eating dessert, and watching Animal House (a must). Oh, and I defiantly consumed a few beers 😉 Yesterday, my friends and I spent the day together, laughing and relaxing. I’m not a fan of huge celebrations, so a quiet day with a great dinner (we went to my FAVORITE Mexican place in San Diego, and you KNOW I went HAM on chips & tacos 😉 ).
Anyways, let’s talk about cake. Growing up, I HATED cake. The frosting was way too sweet for me, and I preferred ice cream. I still prefer ice cream, but I have a new found appreciation for cake. When it has the right frosting, and the perfect texture, it’s pretty damn tasty. For my 18th birthday, I asked for a good cake and college money- kept it simple.
I tested this cake multiple times, and came up with this. It’s chocolate cake with a dreamy peanut butter frosting. For the dish, I used Joyfoodsunshine’s Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting, but I adjusted the measurements based on the consistency I wanted. Can you say WINNING? Don’t be fooled by all of this- it’s way easier to make than I thought, and that’s coming from someone who hates baking.
Not only is this dish vegan, but it’s moist, sweet, and fluffy. Oh, and it takes one bowl! It has all the fixings of a perfect cake filled with flavor. When you make this dish, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1⅔ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups water
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup almond milk
- In a large mixing bowl, add the coconut oil, apple sauce, vanilla, water, and sugar. Mix together well. Place in the fridge to chill for one hour.
- Once chilled, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. To the bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt, and baking soda. Mix everything together well until no clumps remain.
- Take two cake pans and grease well with cooking spray. Evenly pour the batter into the two pans.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, until it begins to detach from the sides and the middle is cooked. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Once those 10 minutes have passed, carefully transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 1-2 hours.
- Once the cake, make the frosting by melting together the coconut oil and peanut butter in a sauce pan on a low heat.
- Once mixed, remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, salt, vanilla, and cooled peanut butter mixture. Whip on a low speed until fluffy. Pour in the almond milk and whip until well combined.
- Begin frosting by spreading some frosting onto the top of the bottom layer. Spread out well and then carefully place the 2nd layer on top. Add more frosting to the top until well coated.
- Once you begin to frost the sides, take handfuls of the batter and spread it out evenly using your hands. This is the best technique to get it spread out well.
- Once you've covered the sides, take any remaining frosting and place on the top. Cut into 10-12 slices and enjoy!
The frosting is loosely adapted from Joyfoodsunshine's peanut butter frosting
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!