This vegan salted chocolate chip cookie skillet is filled with flavor, chocolate, and makes for the perfect dessert! It’s made with minimal ingredients and comes together in under an hour.
Have you guys been to BJ’S? I don’t blame you if you haven’t been. I’m not sure if it’s just a west coast chain or not, so if you haven’t, no worries!
I’m bringing it up because BJ’s is known for one thing and one thing only: their pazzokis! If you’ve never had a pazzoki, it’s basically a cookie skillet filled with ice cream. BJ’s does them like no one else; they’re soft on the inside, warm, and filled with sugar. They’re the ultimate dessert.
My first time ever having one, I was blown away. Not only are they indulgent, but their chocolate chip to cookie ratio is 3-1. JUST LIKE IT SHOULD BE. I’m sorry, but if there are less than 5 chocolate chips in a cookie, something is wrong. No, scratch that- 10. 10 chocolate chips is the MINIMUM, my friends.
After I took my first bite of BJ’s pazzoki (such a weird word), I knew I wanted to recreate it. I wanted to lighten it up and make It feel less heavy, but I didn’t want to take away any flavor. Well, my friends- missioned accomplished!
I’m not going to call this a pazzoki because it’s not. It’s a vegan salted chocolate chip cookie skillet! I tried making this gluten free using oat flour, but it just wasn’t the same. Using whole wheat flour provides it with the fluffiness a skillet desires, but if you have success with another gluten free flour, please let me know!
This dish is filled with a mix of coconut sugar and organic cane sugar, which is a nice balance. For the chocolate chips, I went with 70% dark chocolate, which provides a nice chocolate flavor and doesn’t make the dish bitter at all! This dish takes 30 minutes to make, and can be eaten immediately! Just don’t skimp out on the ice cream topping 😉
When you make this cookie skillet, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more for topping
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sea salt, coconut sugar, cane sugar, whole wheat flour, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add in the apple sauce, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. As you mix that with the dry, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Greese your cast iron skillet with a bit of coconut oil, and pour the batter in. It will be a pretty thick batter, which is normal.
- Once it's spread out evenly, sprinkle a bit more sea salt on and cook for 25-30 minutes, until done on top and slightly under cooked in the middle.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with ice cream and ENJOY.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!