This zesty winter kale salmon salad is full of protein, flavor, and is easy to make! Made with a zesty yogurt dressing & filled with flavor, this is the perfect quick dinner.
Growing up, salmon was always one of my FAVORITE foods. It was practically a family tradition that on Sunday’s, my mom would cook up a fillet for the family as a part of family dinner. Everyone had theirs with brown rice, but me being the picky little brat I was, I refused to eat rice, and instead requested frozen French fries. Yup, we went through a lot of those during my childhood.
ANYWAYS, my mom is the queen of salmon. I mean, I think I’ve got it down when it comes to how to cook it, but let me tell ya- she is the queen. She keeps it simple, juicy, and perfect. *bows down to Diana* Her trick? LOTS OF OLD BAY. Old bay + salmon = a match made in heaven. I figured it was time I share a take on her salmon, so here we are!
With the temperature dropping, my love of salads has not gone down. I still crave them daily, and all the weather change means is that I’ll be using heartier, warmer ingredients. So, this zesty winter kale salmon salad is just what the doctor ordered!
For the base, we’re using kale, duh. In my opinion, it’s the heartiest, most filling green there is, and while it gets a bad rep, it’s delicious when paired with the right dressing (we’ll get to that in a sec). Next comes the quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and red onion. Quinoa provides a good source of carbs and protein, while the red onion and pumpkin seeds provides flavor and crunch. I LOVE adding pumpkin seeds to my salads- so underrated!
Now onto the dressing, which is a simple yogurt dressing made with plain greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, and Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides! Ever since I started adding Vital Proteins into my diet, I’ve noticed dramatic changes in my hair and nails, which used to be things I was incredibly insecure about. Now… I love em! You can’t even taste the collagen, but it provides so many nutrients.
AND THAT SALMON. Ugh- so good. I kept the seasonings SUPER simple, and used just a drizzle of olive oil to help it cook. Magical.
When you make this zesty winter kale salmon salad, don’t forget to send me a photo on Instagram @tennishealthfitness.
- For the salad:
- Fresh kale (I didn't measure, but you want a lot)
- 1 red onion, thinly chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- For the salmon:
- 10 oz salmon
- 2 tsp old bay
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ scoop collagen (optional)
- 1 tsp dill
- Water, to thin
- Heat your olive oil to a medium heat over a skillet. Once hot, add the salmon on and sprinkle on the old bay. Drizzle over a little more olive oil so it doesn't stick when flipping, cover with a lid, and cook until ready to flip. Once ready, flip and cover again. Once the salmon is done, turn the oven off but keep the salmon on there to keep it warm.
- To prepare the salad, add the kale, pumpkin seeds, cooked quinoa, and diced red onion.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients until well combined, and add more water if needed.
- Once the salmon is ready, toss the salad in the yogurt dressing. Once tossed well, divide evenly and serve your salmon on top. Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins. All opinions are my own.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe for recipe updates, bonus content, and more goods!